Thursday, March 14, 2013

This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home

Time for a confession ... I just ate the most unhealthiest of lunches. And it was soooo good!

My usual lunch fare is a turkey or roast beef sandwich on toasted, swiss-cheese-topped hoagie bread. Sounds yummy, huh? Well, it is. It's also full of calories.

Lately it's been impossible to hide that fact that my mid-section has become quite

... how shall I put it?

Fluffy?

Oh, who am I kidding - I'm fat! But, living this life of fluffy-fattness isn't making me very happy so I've decided to make a few changes, starting with my lunch fare. I purposely didn't buy any deli meat at the grocery store this weekend. Also gone is the white hoagie bread buns.

So, what does one turn to for lunch options when the mainstay has been eliminated? Well, how about leftovers from the previous night's dinner? That's great when you're eating leftover veggies and such but dinners at my house aren't always on the right side of healthy. Sometimes I go for easy, yummy, and I-don't-care-how-many-calories-I'm-eating dinners. Last night was one of those nights. We had Brinner (that's breakfast served as dinner for the uninitiated) which consisted of waffles (sugar free syrup for the hubs, of course), scrambled eggs, bacon, and grits.

Fortunately or not, depending on what you think about day-old rubbery eggs and hockey-puck-hard grits, the only leftover was baconPhoto

Whenever I cook bacon I always fix way more than we can eat at one sitting. I then refrigerate it for later use in salads, as a topping on a casserole, seasoning in green beans, etc. Today however, I decided to toss tradition to the wind and reheated the bacon for my lunch. Thirty seconds in the microwave and it was as good as the night before. Apparently the cat agreed because as soon as I pulled it from the microwave she was stuck to my side like glue. (And yes, I shared my bacon with the little princess.)

So, let me tell you ... that bacon was D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! It was so good that the original four pieces I reheated morphed into seven. Nom, nom, nom, yummy-in-my-tummy good. I'm pretty sure though, that I will pay for my indulgence later in the day. All that grease two days in a row can't be good for me and I'm pretty sure I didn't save any calories by switching out bacon for bread.

To top it all off,  my house now reeks of the smell of the bacon for the second day in a row.

Oh well, it was a good idea at the time and so worth whatever price I may pay later. BUT, I think the next time I have a craving for Brinner I'll suggest we head over to iHop and eliminate the temptation of leftovers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as a side note, have you noticed lately how BACON is the THE food of choice these days? Everybody's cooking with bacon. My condolences to the piggies of the world. 

1 comment:

  1. I then blame you that last night I cooked up the rest of an open pack I already had so I could sprinkle some on our baked potatoes...all your fault.

    ReplyDelete