Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Life with the Torture Machine

I'm in day three of living with the Torture Machine and thought I should update because I know inquiring minds want to know how it's going. 

Day One - I did my workout first thing in the morning. I survived for five minutes. Ok, yeah, there was a break mid-way through. Remember, I am not only an exercise novice, I am horribly out of shape. I'm taking baby steps here.

Day Two - I did five minutes in the morning and another five in the afternoon. I did not take a break within the five minutes unless you count the couple of times I stopped for a few seconds to catch my breath.

Day Three - well, it's almost noon and I haven't done my morning workout. Today I am sore and the thought of getting on the Torture Machine is killing me. We'll see if I have the energy to try the afternoon workout but I'm not holding my breath here.

If anyone is wondering what finally brought me to the point of working out, it's a very long and personal story. One that even I, who over-shares everything, refuses to divulge the gory details of. You'll just have to accept it and be happy that I'm finally taking some steps to bring about some change in ME.

I need to exercise to get physically fit. I'm also hoping to drop some weight along the way. Of course I'm going to have to do more than just walk on the Torture Machine. I desperately need to change my eating habits.

I need to change not only what I eat, but also how much I eat and when I eat. I probably negated the whole 10 minutes of elliptical time by eating dinner last night. We had pot roast with green beans, corn, and rice. Naturally I slathered gravy on the beef and the rice. Yummy! I did not have second servings ... that is until I was cleaning up afterwards and couldn't help but add gravy to the leftover rice and eat an additional two or ten mouthfuls.

Sigh.

But it was so good! And then, to add insult to injury around bedtime my DH had a craving for something cheesy and we sat in bed together and pigged out on Cheez-It Duoz. For anyone who doesn't understand internet lingo, DH stands for Dear Husband; but, feel free to fill in your own "D" word .... whatever the situation warrants. Regardless, I have to own the fact that I didn't have to join him in the midnight snack no matter how tasty those da#$ crackers are!

So, there you have it. I think I have to write off Tuesday as a complete washout.

The truth of the matter is I've really got to get a handle on my eating habits. I need to learn that cleanup after dinner means scraping the dishes, pots, and pans, and loading the dishwasher; it does NOT include eating what's left over "so it doesn't go to waste." Or better yet, I need to learn to make just enough to eat without having leftovers to taunt me. I need to stop buying snack foods that call out my name late at night. I need to learn what to eat and what not to eat. I need to figure out portion controls and stick to them. I need to stop impulse eating. I need to give up comfort foods. I need to stand naked in front of a mirror every single day to remind myself why I need to do all that other stuff ... ewww, gross.

There I go again - over-sharing. Sorry!

Anyway, there you have it, an update of my progress (or lack of) towards producing a whole new me. Or should I say progress towards producing a half-of-the-person-I am-now new me.

A half me.

Whatever.

If anyone has any suggestions towards obtaining that goal it would be greatly appreciated. Motivate me! Just be gentle and remember, while long overdue, I'm new at this.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, you can!


    Lol! I'm right there with you, Sherri! I have never been able to exercise to due to scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and low blood pressure (everything goes black and I pass out). I started physical therapy 3 weeks ago for the excruciating back pain that I have on a mostly daily basis. I feel like a complete weakling, but every time I would start to hurt during these ridiculously wimpy exercises, the physical therapist tells me I am overdoing it and I need to ease up! And what do you know, it works and I can keep exercising! I have not managed to do the exercises every day (or even more than 2 or 3 days in a row) due to soreness, vacation, or sickness. Just pick one, any excuse will do! However, the difference between this and what I was doing before is a 100% improvement! Same with you! Even with the little bit I have done, I feel stronger and I have hope. I say, "YEAH US"!!!!! :)

    As for the eating, there are apps where you enter all of your body stats (privately) and then you enter what you eat. It sounds hard, but it really isn't...it figures out all the calories for you. When I did this, I at least had an idea of how much I should be eating and, well, let's just say, you'd be amazed at how motivating awareness can be when you see that extra rice and gravy tantalizing you! The halo and glow over the delicious looking left-over food, food that you have already enjoyed once, disappears and it becomes yucky looking - at least it did to me! This app has also worked for my MIL (mother-in-law) and my DH (we’ll go with dear husband). The app I have used is My Fitness Pal. Couldn't hurt to try, right?

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try working out only every other day. It helps your muscles to rest and get used to the new routine. Just like you. When you set you plate down to eat, cut every portion in half. Now only east half. Ether throw out the other or you have lunch. But it really works. Drinks lots of water. Only weigh once a week. Gook Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri,

    I'm with you as well. In September, my daughter introduced me to www.myfitnesspal.com which is an app that helps you keep track of your food intake and your exercise. I have counted calories with that app since September 21, and I've lost 34 pounds so far. I usually stop following a diet after losing about 15 pounds, but counting calories gives me a freedom that keeps me motivated. Also, in the past month or so, I've begun walking two to three miles at least 3 times a week. On Saturday, I signed up for a 5K - I don't know why... I'm not a runner, but my daughter inspired me as she prepared for a half-marathon recently. Now, I have a reason to push myself. Good luck with your plan, Sherri. I would love to have you as a friend on myfitnesspal.com!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like there are already some good suggestions here... i love the 'app' idea, tho i am 'app challenged' and probably couldn't do that, it sounds much better than following a diet... actually 'diet' or dieting' is old school... now it's 'life style change'... one of my first nursing instructors eons ago told her class that 'cleaning your plate' was not helping the starving children in china and would only hurt each of us in the long run.... made sense to me... she said it was more 'waste' for our bodies and was better as waste for the garbage... i've remembered that all these years... i joined a gym in december thru my insurance plan at a discount.. i needed to develop my core muscles [read abs and back] so i wouldn't hurt myself at work. i'm sporadic at best, but can tell a little difference. and i can work out on my piece of equipment i have here better... when i first started i could only do a few minutes too... i admit the first 2 minutes are still hard, but once i keep on it gets easier and now i can do 10 -15 minutes... btw, is DH also going to work out too? you are so smart to do something now... hoping not to see you where i work! while strokes happen to non-skinny people too, their progress is faster because they aren't struggling w/ the extra weight as well as the impairment from the stroke... congratulations for taking action!! btw, what are your boys doing this summer?

    ReplyDelete