Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I have no self control

When it comes to certain foods I have trouble knowing when to step back and say no. Consequently, it's no surprise I am the size of a water buffalo. And while I've never actually seen a live water buffalo, I'm pretty sure we're comparable in size.

Last week when the boys were home from school I made a delicious macaroni and cheese dish. It was a lick the bowl clean type of dish. Even Dale liked it and he's not your average pasta loving fool like the rest of us. As is usual for homemade mac-and-cheese the recipe made enough for a small army. Even with four adults, two of whom are growing male adult-children, we could not eat it all so you know what that means .... yay for leftovers! I was able to put two two-person servings in the freezer for future meals.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I've done nothing since last Thursday but think about macaroni and cheese. The gooey cheesy goodness has been calling out to me on a regular basis and finally today I succumbed to it. Yes, I pulled that package right out of the freezer and heated it up for my lunch. It smelled heavenly and I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it.

It is with great sadness that I report that my leftover macaroni and cheese was not as good as it was the other night. It wasn't as creamy and the macaroni seemed a bit tough. Of course it wasn't so bad I couldn't eat it. I scarfed down about half the dish before giving up and offering the rest to Spunky. I guess it could be considered a blessing that it was only good enough to eat half  'cause we all know this water buffalo doesn't need all those calories.

I'm also sad to report that because it wasn't as good as anticipated I am still craving ooey-gooey-cheesy mac-n-cheese. And also because my craving wasn't satisfied I'm destined to struggle today with the urge to fill my disappointed tummy with something else. I should have gone to Chick-fil-A instead. It never fails to satisfy the craving.

Before closing out and since we're talking about food, I leave you with these photos from our visit to Mellow Mushroom this weekend.

I had this awesome sub   and Dale and Ian shared this pie
  I didn't get a photo of Andrew's food because he was fussing at me to stop taking photos, which I did after shooting him

bwahahaha, a mother's revenge

   


 Really I wanted to show him playing with his new phone. Yes, Andrew got the newest iPhone and he spent a better part of the weekend playing with it. If you've read any of the reports on the new phone you know that it's biggest selling point is Siri (which you can read about here  if you're not from this planet and don't know what I'm talking about). I have to admit we all had fun playing with it and the highlight came when he said "crap" to Siri and she replied "let's keep it clean Andrew" There's nothing like having your phone correct you, just like your mother!

I'm also pleased to announce that we have now pulled my husband into the 21st century. He inherited Andrew's old iPhone and is currently experiencing what the rest of us have been yakking about for years.

   See how happy he is? Men sure do love their gadgets! This guy however isn't so happy.  In fact, he's quite sad. Due to recent purchases of a new muffler, a new windshield, and a new piece-that-holds-your-wheel-to-the-axle all of his money is gone and he isn't able to upgrade to the new iPhone. Sorry Buddy, maybe Santa will get a bonus this year and bring you one for Christmas.

I have to confess that I too am the owner of a new iPhone. I opted for a white one  isn't it cute?  In my defense it was clearly time for me to upgrade - my old 3G couldn't hold a charge for a full day, the center home button had to be pressed multiple times to work, and the touchscreen only responded to 50% of my swipes. I did practice self control in that I purchased the 4 and not the more expensive 4S even though I really, reaaaaally wanted it.

Aren't you glad to know that when it comes to some things I can practice self control? Excuse me now, I'm off in search of food - this water buffalo is still hungry!

1 comment:

  1. Similarly sized water buffalo here ;) Your food pics are making me drool this am. You know I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't really like her iphone 4...

    ReplyDelete