Friday, November 9, 2012

An artist is born?

I've misplaced something very important and have spent the better part of the day looking for it. I know it's here somewhere, I just don't know where.

During my search I was going through a box of childhood keepsakes. Suddenly my mission changed from one of search and rescue to one of, "hey, look! This would make great blog material." Isn't it amazing how quickly I can switch gears and immediately find myself immersed in a new project?

Without further ado, I present to you photos of a young artist's earlier works.


I believe we have a rainbow and perhaps a self portrait? Big eyes?

I have no idea the dates on any of the drawings. My mother had the foresight to save them but failed to date anything. I guess that's what happens when you're the third child.


I think I was combining two seasons here. Note the colorful leaves on the half bare trees - a sign of Autumn?  I'm pretty sure the other "things" depict the flowers of Spring, though I guess they could be lollipops. But, the grass is green, so I vote for Spring. Note the yellowing, brittle scotch tape in the bottom right corner. This is obviously before my "scrapbook" phase where I learned all about archival safe products.

Next we have a house, one that obviously needs some reconstruction.

When you were a kid did you always draw a chimney on your houses? I did and ironically I never lived in a house with a fireplace and chimney until I was grown and living on my own. I think it comes from knowing that's how Santa is supposed to enter our houses.


This picture was drawn specifically for my mother. Even at a young age I seemed to know what all mom's are good for is their ability to provide transportation for their children. I don't think I have ever ridden in a taxi so I'm not sure where this came from. It's a joy to see the happy sun (why do kids think the sun has a face? Don't they know it's only the moon that has one?), my patriotic offering (note the stripes are going the wrong way on the flag), and the lovely flower which might be a tulip or it might be one of those scary Venus-flytrap plants. Yikes!


My guess is this one was probably done around Thanksgiving. Sadly today it would probably be considered politically incorrect to depict an Indian and a teepee. You can't tell from this scan but I cut out the opening to the teepee. Wasn't I oh, so creative? As for the Indian, those are some seriously scary hands he has. Perhaps I was channeling the future Edward Scissorhands or maybe it's the forerunner of Freddy Kruegar?


Another seasonal drawing. This one is all about Autumn. I can't decide if those are leaves on the branches? Or maybe squirrels with colorful hats. I do know that's one big bird next to the person. And, look at those bird legs! I love the colorful cap on the person and note that there's just a faint smile ... probably 'cause he's missing a finger on both hands and apparently has no feet.

Don't you just love the way a child pays so much attention to some details but is totally oblivious to others?


... details like in this drawing where only one of the train cars actually has wheels. I guess the little engine that could is capable of dragging all the other cars along. Of course they don't have far to go because it looks like the tracks are abruptly ending. Only in a child's world ...

And finally we have this 
Paper, paint, crayon, tape, fabric and buttons. I wonder if my mother had a clue back then that she was raising a future mixed media artist? Whether or not she did, she always encouraged and supported my artistic endeavors and for that I will always be grateful. I'm also willing to forgive her for throwing away a whole semester of work from my life drawing class when she moved away from my childhood home.

For the record, I don't actually remember her disposing of my portfolio. She just recently reminded me of it and according to her I wasn't so much upset about losing the drawings as I was horrified that she put stacks of nude drawings out on the street!

Thanks Mom!

3 comments: