Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 2 of the big yard cleanup

When I last blogged I told you my grand plans for more yard improvements. As noted on this photo the plans were as follows:
  1. get rid of the ugly bushes
  2. create a flower bed under the windows
  3. purchase some hanging baskets to hang on the crook
  4. get rid of the rotting address sign
And while I didn't note it Saturday, I also planned to cut down all the annoying tiny pine trees that have sprung up in the side and front yard. Before I got started I took some before shots.
 
 It may not seem like many but believe me, looks can be deceiving. I stopped counting after #50 dropped! 

Here's what it looks like now.    Now, if I were a professional yard person I would have gotten rid of the downed trees but I just left them where they dropped. Hey, I'm not getting paid for this job! Along with that cleanup what's really needed is for someone to go out there and pick up all the stupid pine cones laying on the ground. And yes, pine comes are stupid. Have you ever seen a pine cone go to college, get a job, or be recognized for a Nobel Peace prize?

Dale and I have always said that we wish someone would come up with a mechanical pine cone picker-upper. Even better, maybe we should invent it ourselves and retire on all the money that would come rolling in. 

Anywho, doesn't that look a lot better?  I can't wait for the mimosa tree to start getting it's leaves because it's looking pretty naked right now. Theres also a second one, there on the right, that I might go ahead and cute down. At the moment it's looking pretty forlorn.

I must go on the record here and admit to the world that my husband despises those mimosa trees. If he had his way they'd all be gone. I love their southern charm and refuse to part with them. It's just one of those things that we've agreed to compromise on ... I get my mimosa trees and he gets fed a home cooked meal at least twice a week. Sounds like a fair deal to me!  

In a perfect world, I will create a flower bed surrounding the mimosa. I should probably also come up with something to camouflage those tree stumps. Jackson EMC left them a few years ago when they chopped down a couple of  line-offending pine trees. It was a free cut so I guess I can't complain about the leftover stumps however unsightly they are. 

There's one major stumbling block to living in this perfect world. Well, actually there are two, no, THREE stumbling blocks. First, flower beds aren't cheap. All the flowers, potting soil, mulch, etc. cost money. And unfortunately, with all the trees on our property not one of them is a money tree. 

Second, thinking about all the physical activity it will require to create this flower bed is causing me to cringe. Right now every muscle in my body is screaming. My joints are aching, and my nose is sunburned. I'm just not sure I'm up to the job at the moment. Which leads me to my third point. 

If a flower bed is created it must be maintained. Hello! It's me, Sherri, we're talking about here. Mrs. Brown Thumb. Weeding, watering, inspirational talks ... these are not my strong suits. I try to do the right thing and can usually keep it up for awhile. But, as the weather gets warmer my sense of obligation begins to wane and before you know it, the greenery turns brown, colors fade, petals droop, weeds abound and suddenly I'm whining "who's idea was this anyway?"

At the moment, the verdict is still out on a flower beds. Time will tell.

Meanwhile let's travel on up the driveway and see how the girls are progressing.

Tacy has three blooms. Betsy however,  is still refusing to put out. I guess that makes her a good girl, huh?

Lila  is coming of age. And Bella .... well Bella is quite the floozy.

  She's definitely strutting her stuff!

Around the corner, what do we have here?  Yay! Those ugly little bushes are GONE! As is the cute little sign that was looking much too worse for the wear. 

It's hard to see but it has Bible scripture on it.  Joshua 24:15 "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD"  I hate to take it down but it's really looking rough. Maybe I can think of something else to replace it.

 Woohoo! Look at that shrub and bush free zone. Wouldn't it look great with a flower bed? Oops. There I go again with the flower bed.

I know what would really make it look great - a front porch! I've always wanted one. With rocking chairs or a porch swing. What do you think? Do you think I could convince the husband how grand that would look? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to build. Surely if he can build this  he can build a little front porch. Ya think?? Meanwhile I think I'll go out and buy a few hanging baskets. Right after I finish soaking my feet and sitting on the heating pad. Oh, my aching back!

1 comment:

  1. Looking good! Yes, I vote for a front porch! You can have a porch-warming party, and invite all your loyal blog readers! :-)

    ReplyDelete