Monday, February 14, 2011

Love is in the Air

I guess I'm a freak of nature. There are two holidays that I absolutely hate - Valentines Day and Halloween. And now every woman reading this is gasping in horror.

How can you possibly hate Valentines Day? Is it because you don't have a special someone in your life? NO! Thank you very much, I have a wonderful, loving, caring husband who treats me like a queen.

Do you not like chocolate, hugs and kisses, candlelit dinners, and romantic getaways? YES! All of that is great. I just don't think that we need to take one day out of the year to go crazy on "love" when it's something we should be doing every day, all year long. I also don't think we need to throw out a bunch of money to "show" someone we love them.

For me it's all about the little things.....my husband calling the cable company with a problem because he knows it makes me break out in hives to pick up the phone, the bag of raisinets he brought home the last time he went to Walgreens, and him asking me to go somewhere with him "just because I like for you to be there with me" - these are the things that tell me I am loved.

It's kinda ironic that, after all the thousands of romance novels I read back in the day, I don't have a romantic bone in my body. But then, maybe that's the reason why. I mean really, how can anyone possibly live up to the expectations created by the writers. Just once I'd like to meet one of them and ask .... is your life really like that?

I suppose some might argue that it can only enhance a relationship when one goes out of the way to express their love for another. Which is fine, but don't let it negate the little seeds of love that are planted every day in the life of a couple, a family, or even in a friendship. It's those little seeds of love that grow, and with continuing care, strengthen and blossom.

I love my husband. I even went so far as to publicly tell him today. Last year I actually went off the grid and gave him something that I made especially for him. But hopefully he knows, from the things I do and say every day, that I love him very much, that he is the light of my life, and he's the one that I want to grow old with.

And as for today, Valentine's Day .... I might make him a special dinner (if I make it to the grocery store), I might make him a card (if I can find my creative muse which has been missing for quite awhile now), and I will make it a priority to say "I love you " and then, we will probably enjoy a little time of canoodling!

Just in case you're wondering ....


Merriam-Webster Logo  
Word of the Day
 
February 14           


canoodleAudio Pronunciation\kuh-NOO-dul\

 
DEFINITION
 
verb
 
:
to engage in amorous embracing, caressing, and kissing

And if one of my kids happens to read this, eye bleach is available for getting rid of that image!

1 comment: