Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A not-so-great, lousy, no good, bad-hair day

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up raring (rearing? roaring? where's my English major husband when I need him??) to go, ready to meet the day head on, and accomplish all kinds of earth shattering things? Today was one of those days for me. It started in the shower where I began mentally making lists.

It started with a list of chores that need to be done - clean the bathrooms, wash a load of clothes, pick up a prescription at the pharmacy, vacuum the floors.... all are things that need to but done and are usually considered mundane. Today however, they didn't feel so much like chores as they do projects. Projects just sound better. Everyone knows projects can be considered "fun" and when they're completed you're filled with a sense of accomplishment. Doesn't that sound great?!

But, it didn't stop there. The word project led me to create list number two - a list of craft projects that I'd like to start in the very near future: there's a cute new bag that is begging to be made, I want to open up my art notebook of collages and add to it, and I would really like to give another go at digital scrapbooking. Ahhhh, my creative muse is alive and well, and calling out to be heard.

List three was comprised of topics that I find myself wanting to blog about, and in my mind I there are already a couple of paragraphs already written. I won't divulge this list here. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise! :)

I have to admit that today's shower went a little long. I now have a good idea of how long the hot water lasts and how wrinkly my skin gets after an extended how shower. Let's just say it's a good thing I don't wake up this way every day!

After finishing all the necessary work of pulling myself together physically - as in hair drying (why is it that my hair never looks the same from one day to another?), makeup applied (on days when I know I'm going out, this step is an absolute must, wouldn't want to scare the public!), and finally, dressing (jeans today, no sweats, see comments above for makeup), I'm ready to tackle the day.

It was time to pull out the computer, open up Evernote and start putting my lists in writing. This is an important step because I know I am more likely to actually do something when it is in writing. If it's only in my head I can conveniently forget about it, but if it's there in "black and white" it's much harder to ignore.

On a side note - isn't it funny how technology has changed us? In the past these kinds of lists would be written on paper, maybe a journal, or even just a scrap of paper or a Post-it note. Then there's the ever popular chalkboard or dry erase board that I have hanging in a prominent place, to be easily seen, prompting me to complete my "To-Do's." My current choice for notes is using my computer and the internet.

Using this site evernote  I can create my lists and access them with either my computer or my iPhone. The computer and phone are in sync and my lists follow me wherever I go. An added plus, because it is all saved on the server at Evernote I don't have to worry about my computer dying and losing all my notes. As long as I have internet access I'm good!

My lists were quickly typed up, complete and entered into my folders. I'm good to go. Now, if I had been smart I would have immediately jumped right on one of those lists and gone to work. However, being the internet junkie I am, I found it completely necessary to do a little web surfing. And thus began the unraveling of a completely good day.

I had a message from someone, who shall remain nameless. In this message was something I DID.NOT.WANT.TO.HEAR. I won't go into details, it's not important to anyone but me. I will however admit, that on this particular topic I am completely and utterly irrational. It makes my blood BOIL. And so it was, ten little words have completely ruined my day (and if we're being irrational here... quite possibly my week, and maybe even my month. If I really want to get dramatic I could say that it has ruined my life....but then, that would really be over-the-top).

Now I know that no "thing" or no "one" can affect me unless I allow it. I KNOW that it's how I RESPOND and how I CHOSE to feel that makes me have a good or bad day. But then, I think I've already stated that I am being irrational here. I own it. Or it owns me. Whatever.

Today has become a not-so-great, lousy, no good, bad-hair day. Thank goodness I put those lists in writing. Maybe tomorrow I can have a mulligan and try again.

1 comment:

  1. ((hugs)) I had a day exactly like that yesterday. One really awful phone call and any hope of me having a good day went right out the window. :( I hope tomorrow is better for you. A good book and some time to myself always helps me feel better. I hope you have something that works for you too.

    ReplyDelete